I used a Brown Precision custom Mark X belonging to my brother to take my first WV buck in 1994 (my son was using my only rifle). I hit the 8-point about halfway up, right behind the shoulder, at about 75 yards with a 150gr BT at 3100 or so. He trotted about 50 yards and stopped, so thinking I had somehow missed, I worked the bolt quietly and was about to give him another one, when he flopped over, which totally freaked out his "date", who ran off. The exit hole was a couple inches in diameter, and the insides were soup, just like with similar hits from various .270s, .30/06s, and even .308s; the point being that for deer at least, there's not much difference in killing power between the standards and most magnum rounds, at least not at ordinary ranges. Far off, and for bigger stuff, maybe, but with new powders and bullets, I don't feel there's any advantage, and all things considered, there are a couple of disadvantages compared to '06-based cartridges, for me at least. (this opinion also takes into consideration a number of deer my brother took with that rifle)

I wouldn't build or go looking for a 7RM, but also wouldn't pass up a nice one I ran into either. Given the opportunity, I definitely would have acquired my brother's superb rifle when he passed, but that didn't happen.

What fresh Hell is this?