Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Bob...think you may have mentioned this in the past, but have you done any work in a longer lead with this cartridge?
I have one now I`m working with, Wby lead, and getting Wby velocities with it. I think the standard lead actually reduces potential velocity the case has to offer.
Thoughts?

Of course it does. I was doing this back in the late 1980's along with some friends. Nothing complicated here.

I used to seat a 160 NPT with its base even with the base of the 7 RM case. Used to do the same with a 180 NPT in the 300 WM.

You were basically wildcatting the case.And if you can't keep yourself out of trouble with a wild cat you have no business hand loading a factory round.

Gun writers like John Wooters advocated it. You got rid of the short OAL , the cartridge was easier to load even if you did not nudge into weatherby data.

We used 1/9 twists. They handled everything including moose and bull elk.. The rifles got hunted all over the west.

Pressure? How do I know ? Who cares? smile Whenever someone wants to dump on something someone did 30 years ago they scream.."Pressure pressure!!!!"!

Thousands of rounds,brass tossed without incident ,and dead animals galore. My last bull elk with a 7 Rem Mag was with a rifle cut wth a long throat and would not even shoot until I loaded a 160 Partition to 3080.

Bob:
Mine has the H&H length mag box but is throated where 3.334 is the longest that will chamber. For loony reasons that kind of bothers me, would you recommend letting the throat out or just letting it get shot out some first? Chamber seems to be really tight as it takes a good deal of finger pressure to seat a bullet in an un-sized fired case and has a good bit of neck tension when seated.