Originally Posted by Dekker
I have a 2008 Dodge 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 4-door that I pull my 5th wheel camper with. It has 127,000 miles and only had a few issues First; due to smog regs the EGR valve needs to be cleaned about every 65,000 miles or so, not a big deal and easy to do yourself. Second was the steering loosened up after about 100,000 miles, that is your steering wheel will have more play in it. There is a easy fix, about $150 for a brace/bottom bearing. Basically it puts a second bearing on the bottom of the steering box tightening it up and removing the play. I takes about 30 mins to put on.
I plan on keeping my truck until about 180,000 mile and then buying a new one.

That is great to know. I have had the steering problem with some of my Jeeps and never realized that there might be a simple fix.

BTW, the 2500 "Outdoorsman" package includes Bilstein shocks and Scott told me that the package includes an extra strut around the transfer case to limit sway, something I would never have realized was desirable.

It also includes skid plates, A HD tranny oil cooler, trailer brake controller, tow hooks, bigger trailer hitch socket, extra engine cooling fan, fog lights and several other "beef-up" features. I'd think it would be ideal for pulling a fifth wheel camper and a used one like the one I'm getting seemed little more expensive than a base SLT!

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).