I've been curious about them, and finally got to handle one in 6.5x55 Swede a couple of weeks ago. The guy who owned it said that he hunted all over the world with it set up in 300 Weatherby, and that it really does return to zero as advertised.

I can't speak to the peculiarities of the Blaser's mechanics and design, but it was impressive overall. I didn't shoot it, but the owner had made several little cloverleaves with hit at 100 yards, so the accuracy of that particular example was acceptable. The trigger definitely is something to write home about. It seems light and crisp, but it still feels solid and safe unlike a lot of other very light triggers. It was hard to assess handling as this example had a 36x scope for load testing, but it was light without being too light and it seemed well balanced. The straight-pull bolt is odd, but I figured out how to run it quickly after a few tries. That said, after 40-odd years on turnbolt rifles, I'd want an extensive trainup before I took a Blaser hunting, especially if that involved going into harm's way.

The ability to change calibers is interesting, but I'm more drawn to the fact that it breaks down into a small package and returns to zero. I live in a city full of gun haters and car burglars, so I'm interested in any versatile long gun that I can transport without calling attention to myself. Cost is prohibitive, but maybe I'll give it a try if I stumble into a few thousand extra dollars someday.

And that's all I know after a grand total of maybe 10 minutes on the system.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.