Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by sqweeler

Have you ever owned or spent time with one? I've seen the internet photos and invariably, when the truth comes out, it's likely a double charge reload.
I have worked DSC and SCI for the past several years and have spent time with many PH's who are here to sell hunts. I have yet to have one complain about a Blaser rifle. Not one. I'm sure there are some who simply don't like them and that's fine.

While I have what many would consider extensive shooting and hunting experience, I am a relative newcomer to handloading. That said, I do not see how anyone could put a "double charge" into a rifle case unless the loader used pistol powder instead of rifle powder. Mule Deer would be the one to definitively opine on that issue.

When I stated that my .30/06 and 9.3x62 barrels produced half inch groups with factory ammo, my preferred load for the R93 in .30/06 is the Federal 165 grain TSX (no longer in production, but I have laid in a good supply) and the Federal 286 grain TSX in the 9.3x62.

I acknowledge that there are reports of R93 failures and there may be some credence to those reports. I do not know for certain. But Mauser 98's have also "blown up", as have Model 70's. Each case has to be evaluated on it's own merits.

As a Blaser owner, I would not take one on a DG hunt. Period. A double or tried and proven Model 70, Dakota or a well made Mauser are my choices in that regard.

As long as we have mentioned Mule Deer, I would be interested if he had an opinion on the Blaser R93 and/or R8.