They are expensive when compared with a standard off the shelf production rifle, but they are not really in the same class as your average production rifle as far as fit and finish, function and overall build quality.

Even a fairly average parts rifle "custom" can get pretty expensive really fast, and they may not always work as well as a Blaser in my experience.

Barrel: $350
Installation: $300
Donor action: $400+ Could be a lot more for a custom action like a Stiller, which would be a closer match to the Blaser's quality.
Blueprint: $300-$400
Jewell Trigger: $250
McMillan painted drop in: $550
Bedding job: $150
Talley detachable rings and bases $150

Total somewhere around $2,500-$2,600+ with a considerable wait.

Blaser Professional S:

Complete rifle: $2,200
Blaser Saddle mount: $400

Total around $2,600 and you can generally have one in a couple of days.

Once you buy the first complete rifle, they actually become cheaper than those basic customs. If you want a three rifle battery comprised of the custom recipe I listed above, you would spend somewhere around $7,500. The Blaser would cost $2,600 plus two extra barrels at about $900 each = $4,400.

If you get a wild hair to change calibers or try something new, it takes about two days to get a new barrel in dozens of calibers. It often takes months to get a new barrel on a conventional custom.

Not to mention the modular and takedown capabilities that the conventional custom will not have.

I have had some pretty decent rifles over the years, built by some of the top makers, and I will say that I have been really impressed with my Blaser. Enough so that I would recommend a guy that is a serious travelling hunter buy one with a couple of barrels and spend the rest of his cash on hunting trips.

Best,

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen