I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm on my second one. The first was a very ugly Ultimate .270 and .338, was controlled feed and shot very well.

I have had a R -93 since about 2000 in .270 and 9.3x62. I started out with a 270/22-250 combo. The 22-250 was twisted 1:14 topped out accuracy wise at about 60 grains. Unsatisfactory for my wants, so I swapped it for the 9.3. I like nice guns. My choice was a beautifully figured Prestidge model with the rose and scroll minted side plates. It is plenty accurate.

I see no advantage to moving on to the newer R-8 models unless you are interested in the heavier calibers, say from .375 and up. The action is a little longer and heavier. oakie john pretty well described the trigger magazine. The magazine only comes out of the R-93 and can be topped off without removal.

SIL had a R-86 which was gifted to him that he hunted a few years. I shot it a few times and it was accurate too.

These are well crafted guns. The 86 had a safety lever. The rest cock and un cock with the thumb spur that looks alot like a hammer. The straight pull is not difficult to adapt to. I have a weakness for guns that come apart in the middle. I have never shot one that was not accurate with ammo appropriate to the twist.

Down side. Everything about them is expensive. The only way I'm not upside down in mine is that I traded a steal for it. In 2000, my luggage case was $400, one piece scope saddle mounts were $300 each. Today, they retail for over $400. Barrels start at about $1100 plain, sights add about a hundred or more, and fluted can double that. The best place to buy accessories is on the Blaser Buds forum. Nice used stuff at reduced prices. Changes in barrels is quick and easy. Changing bolt heads for mini or magnum cartridges is simple. I choose standard cartridges for the 93 to avoid the expense of bolt heads. Left hand options work on the regular action on 93 and 8 models.

One more caution. Every few years they update. Stuff for Ultimates and 86s is a used market deal. The 93 is only partially supported by the factory and officially, they are gone, but truth is that is only partially true. EDIT. looks like the 93 barrels and accessories are now secondary market items. EDIT. I WOULD SUGGEST A R-8 and if history repeats, they will one day be gone.

Honestly, the big advantage is for the flying hunter who wants two calibers. I last flew to hunt about fifteen years ago. Mine should be for sale. Henry is about to introduce a nicely finished rifle similar to the H &R Topper or Savage or was it Stevens 219 in .243 and .308 and maybe several other calibers, that I ihave an urge for because they come apart, and are waaaay cheaper. Your money, your choice.....

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 02/21/17.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero