Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Ok you guys. Pick up to three rifle calibers for your ideal North American big game battery. From Alaska to Florida. State your rifles' finish and scope size also. Justify your choices. Let's see what is popular and practical by this group of "average" hunters.
.. Only three? That's not fair! I can't decide which three of about eight that qualify for big game (small game & varmint stuff isn't included). But if it were down to three calibers I guess I'd say .25, 26, & .30. A .25-06 Ruger Mod. 77 VTMKII with a 6-18x Leupold... A Kimber sporterized Mod. 96 Swedish Mauser, 6.5x55 in a Bell & Carlson stock with a 3.5-10x Leupold. At .30 cal. it depends on where I am and what I'm hunting; either a Marlin 30AS .30-30 with a 1-4x Leupold or a Savage Mod. 10 in 300 WSM with a 3.5-10x Leupold. That battery will cover just about anything I would hope to go after in N. America. Chalked up lots of deer, a few pronghorn and one nice mule deer, and someday would love to fill an elk tag with that aforementioned 300 WSM.

Last edited by 22250rem; 03/02/17.