Originally Posted by 300_savage
... some questions are obviously from folks who either are new to shooting and reloading, or maybe, just aren't as ardent a hobbyist as we are. Their questions seem glaringly obvious. But those folks are just wanting a little advice, and it seems to me the polite thing is to give them an honest answer in a polite fashion. 95% of the Campfire folks do just that!

This is clearly where I am. When I was growing up in the 60s and 70s, I spent what seemed like every waking moment in the woods, hunting mostly small game and birds. When I went off to college, I scheduled as many classes as I could so several of us could hunt the mornings and late afternoons, mostly ducks but a few birds here and there as well. At the same time, I was working in local gunshop in order to help pay my way through both undergraduate and grad school.

Even though I spent more time reading books by Leffingwell and George Bird Evans than I did any of my accounting books, I actually did graduate with a couple of degrees. However, about that time things also began to change. I spent virtually all my time building a career, resulting in almost thirty years as a Certified Public Accountant, the last 20+ as a tax partner in the firm. Also, for about the last fifteen or so years of my time in practice, I was also the Rector of a small Anglican parish church, and between the two I didn't have much time for anything else.

Eventually, though, I left the firm to become the first full time Rector of the church, and when I did I found that I finally had enough spare time on my hands to once again take to the woods. However, by that time, a lot had changed and I found that I not only have to learn new things, but also relearn a lot of what I'd forgotten. Thankfully, the internet and forums like this, with some really good and patient people on them, have been a huge help towards making that happen.

Thank to all for your responses and patience.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown