Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
I dont get the hostility towards these new rounds , yeah theres no big reason to get rid of a good shooting 243 you might already have , but if you are a handloader and looking at a new rifle , what reason is there to choose the 243 over a Creedmoor ?

the Creedmoor is simply a better designed case , a sharper shoulder with a bit longer neck will get you better brass life , less trimming , better throat life , and more flexibility when seating bullets in a short action

some old fudds may not like it , but the Creedmoor case is not going to go away.....

I'm as much of a fudd as anyone, but often the choice for me is determined by the rifles I want as much as by what they eat. When I saw the No.1 V .243s for sale at Whittakers for $879, it took about a minute to decide to put one on layaway and sell my perfectly good Hawkeye AW .243 to help with the purchase. Would've been the same if it had been a 6mm CM, or Remington for that matter. Already had .243 brass and dies, which helps, but wasn't a big factor. The bazillion 6mm bullets piled up on the bench; that's another matter, though the big box of 70gr Varmageddons looks like a wash since the long throat won't let me get near the rifling with those unless I'm okay with a very shallow grip on them.

Nothing wrong with new stuff; just has to be in a rifle I like. With Hornady's new stuff, I wouldn't be worried about them pulling the plug in a couple years either, unlike a couple others I can think of.

What fresh Hell is this?