Thank you, Rick!
Yes, the second line is there, just as you typed it...I didn't include it earlier for brevity's sake. The stock appears to be walnut, and original. My guess is that the rifle stood in a closet (or a series of them) for most of Its life. The butt plate has a shiny halo around the top curve from where it must have been stood up, leaning against the back wall of a closet, while that curve was pressed into a carpet or rug. The rest of the plate shows the expected patina of air-exposed metal. All the screws are pristine and the bluing of the receiver and lever are likewise, pristine. And there is no indication of pooling of oil or cleaner residue in the bottom of the action.
I have an M-1917 s&w 45ACP, built in 1917. It has been continuously fired, cleaned, and maintained since my grandfather 'got' it in the Army during the 1930s. That gun has wear and tear, this 99, doesn't.
Do you have any idea what a model like this is worth, or any resources where I might find a ballpark appraisal? Is there any kind of standardized valuation for 99s of this vintage-given that condition is always the determining factor?
Thank you, again!