Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
They also make very fine splitting axes and splitting mauls. The maul is a little bit heavy for every day use, but the large splitting axe is fine and more easy to handle.

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/butik/products/splitting-axes-en/
Elmerkeith and fshaw have it right!

Great axes and hatchets indeed.

I've toured their factory, and met nothing but friendly people who seemed very passionate about what they were doing.

The company offers courses in basic forging, forging axes, forging knives, timber framing, log building, etc - if I hadn't been just passing through the area, I would have signed up right then and there!

Every ax/hatchet head is stamped with the initials of the person who made it and if one EVER comes back cracked, they get razzed by all the other smiths. I saw the last returned hatchet still hanging on the "Vägg av skam" (Wall of Shame), with the blacksmith maker being humiliated until another axe or hatchet was returned and took its place. eek

Husqvarna hatchets & axes are very good too, but after seeing MANY of both in the local hardware stores here (I'm in Sweden), I've become rather certain that the quality control regarding grain flow is more strict at Granfors Bruks so I imagine that they break less.

I've had ZERO problems with my Gränsfors Hunters Axe. I have used the flay poll to skin moose and it works. When somebody forgot the SawsAll, I have also used the blade to chop down the spine lengthwise to split a moose carcass. That is a lot of bone to cut, but the axe was still quite sharp at the end. To be honest, it was not shaving sharp, but it was still sharper than a north American axe would normally be. The edge on a Gränfors Bruks axe is quite hardened!

[Linked Image from gransforsbruk.com]

John