Originally Posted by antlers
I think the knives with scales of beautiful wood, weathered elk or stag, or even real ivory look exceptionally good...but I'm gettin' to where, especially with Rick's knives, I think the ones he makes and uses paper or canvas micarta, or G-10 for the scales...those are just as handsome in my eyes as any of the others previously mentioned.

They are all nice & the great thing about a hand made knife is there is choices for handles,etc.
I have come to like micarta in the kitchen,for durability, and have learned that for hunters in the field (field dressing) , in colder temps, I've grown to like wood ,as it has a "warmer" feel.
Recently I've added a few wood handled knives that I myself have hafted,to my set of kitchen knives,and I'm enjoying the feel of the wood .
I've said this before,but you can see many , many vintage knives with wood ( un known species ,sometimes) ,that are loose & wiggle,some tight as can be,but the point is,some can be near a 100 yrs. old,some more or less. They are put together with cutlery rivets ,adhesives of the times (who knows what that was,if any at all) , and yet somehow with these components have heald together for a long,long time.

I think the modern day knife enthusiast,collector,accumulator,or whatever you'd call oneself should consider these ideas.