We've killed a bunch of deer with the 30-30, 30-06 and 7.62x39. Deer ain't hard to kill. I've killed another dozen with various 44 & 45 revolvers & four with 40 & 45 autos.

The problem with deer is they don't hang out on the Internet and consequently, aren't educated on which rifles or pistols are supposed to drop 'em like a lightnin' bolt. I blew the heart out of a little 110 pound doe with a 30-06 once and watched her saunter off 20 yards, jump a four stand fence and hit the ground like a wet sack on the other side.

I might not have tried the 35 Remington at all, but I stumbled an old straight stock Marlin made before micro-groove. I gas it up to about 40,000 PSI with the Sierra 200 grain bullet, which expands perfectly at 2150 fps.

[Linked Image from thesixgunjournal.net]

I've shot it into water jugs, 5 gallon buckets etc to 200 yards and the bullet is still working out there. I hit a doe in the near shoulder, quartering in, at 130 yards with that load and it sat her down hard.

The 35Rem does good work on deer and I like the fat heavy bullet for anything bigger. I intend to shoot a black bear with it at some point. If it eats me I'll get on here and own up to it, so y'all can make fun of my antique-ass old rifle and cartridge. I don't GAS what factory ammo costs because I never shoot it. I stocked up heavy on reloading components before the Stoopids, so I can shoot for S&G and still have hunting ammo for at least ten years.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ