I own 2 Marlins: a 1964 Marlin 336 and a Marlin/Glenfield 30 with the impressed deer head “checkering” and the 3/4 tube; both in 30/30. I started deer hunting in the mid 60’s because Mississippi didn’t have much of a deer population except on the west side of the levee on the Mississippi River. You had to be rich to be able to join the exspensive clubs there. My college roommate had a Marlin in .35 and we both killed deer with our respective rifles of choice. His 35 had more smackdown power as one would expect. I used the 30/30 exclusively with some old Remington 170 gr HP and still have a handful that I sparingly use when I take the Marlin out for old times sake. My son has borrowed the Marlin/Glenfield so that my 10 year old granddaughter can kill her first deer. No luck this past season but that’s cos he just moved back here and he’s gained access to some good hunting spots. He killed a total of 6 this year- 2 bucks and the rest does with his Remington Model in 6mmRemington. One was killed Christmas morning while he was taking the Christmas wrapping to the trash can at 7:00 am. A 9 point was chasing a doe in the the pasture behind the house and he retrieved his rifle and killed while still in his holiday pajamas! A great story and Christmas tale to be remembered. I smile every time I see the picture. Does anybody else remember the the old REM 170 grain Hollow Point 30/30 cartridges?

Last edited by carrollco; 03/06/24.