Originally Posted by Nathan30
Haha she might just wonder why her cloths smell. Just be careful the checkering will fill up with anything you apply. Also the previous finish that soaked into the grain may be fighting your tru oil

I’ve done a number of stocks over the years and I knew doing this in the winter would pose a problem with the Tru-oil drying. I’ve hung them in a makeshift drying cabinet made out of a large cardboard appliance box with a heater in the bottom… the closet was just on the spur of the moment. I try to keep the finish totally out of the checkering until the stock is completed, sealing the checkering is the last thing I do. It looked like I removed all the old finish but I’m sure there may still be some down in the pores. I very lightly sanded the stock with 400 grit sandpaper after I had stripped it with the MEK and 0000 steel wool, then I wiped it down again with MEK and lint free paper towels. The wood was slick and looking down through the grain I didn’t see any remaining finish. The wood is what I’d consider serviceable but not a high grade piece hence the CZ dark finish that covers or blends in the dark blotches that are naturally occurring in the walnut. I feel a natural look is still better than the muddy finish that was on it.