Originally Posted by drover
After reading all of the comments and seeing pictures of how different stock refinish projects have turned out I am just going to live with the dark factory finish. Like I mentioned in the original post I don't have the patience or knack for doing a nice refinish, mine would likely turn out poorly.

As far as accuracy - I have the action screws tightened to where that when one or the other is loosened there is no movement of the barrel that can be felt when holding on to the fore-end tip of the rifle with my thumb against the barrel. It seems to want to shoot right around 1/2" ten shot groups at 50 yds with ammo it likes. While it is not becnhrest accuracy it is plenty good enough for gopher shooting.

The 457 American is by far the most ammo sensitive rifle I have ever owned though - perhaps I am just spoiled by my Tikka T1x 22LR though, it shoots any ammo very well and with mid-level ammo it really shines.

Some 457 group pocs using inexpensive ammo - the broad black lines are 1" and the small inner lines are 1/4" for reference

5 shots @ 50 yds Norma TAC
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

10 shots @ 50 yds Norma TAC

10 shots @ 50 yds CCI S/V - a lot which groups very well out of any of my 22's

It's always nice when they cluster in like that. I also agree, that my 457 is not my most accurate rifle. It is a lot more finicky than any of my other rifles. Even my new to me 1974 Winchester model 320 shoots better. The new to me Winchester 52 sporter shoots lights out with many different types of ammo as well. I do like and appreciate a rifle much more, when it shoots cheap ammo good. From my experience, most rifles will shoot the expensive ammo real well, when properly tuned and the mechanicals right. That is good that your rifle shoots CCI SV well, that ammo is $5/box at wally world. That's a great rifle that shoots ammo like that well. My favorite ammo to test different rifles with is the Federal Automatch. I have a lot of boxes of that stuff, because it's always inexpensive. I bought a bunch when it was like $18/box. Some of the newer boxes were $21/box. The strange thing is some of my rifles prefer the newer stuff over the old boxes I have. Go figure...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This is real world results with my 457 and cheap wally world Federal Automatch^^^ The Kidd barreled 10/22 will put that ammo into a small ragged hole.

I think the cheapest ammo, besides the Fed Automatch, that I've used in the 457, that really surprised me was the copper plated older Aguila. That stuff shot way above its price point ($4.95/box):

I even shot the St. Patrick's day challenge I posted in this forum, with that ammo in my new 457, because it seemed to shoot well enough. Didn't score quite as high (62) as I was hoping for, but again, it's not a benchrest or even a varmint type rifle.

You should try that shoot with yours. Elijah is accepting targets until the end of this month.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA