After reading all of the comments and seeing pictures of how different stock refinish projects have turned out I am just going to live with the dark factory finish. Like I mentioned in the original post I don't have the patience or knack for doing a nice refinish, mine would likely turn out poorly.

As far as accuracy - I have the action screws tightened to where that when one or the other is loosened there is no movement of the barrel that can be felt when holding on to the fore-end tip of the rifle with my thumb against the barrel. It seems to want to shoot right around 1/2" ten shot groups at 50 yds with ammo it likes. While it is not becnhrest accuracy it is plenty good enough for gopher shooting.

The 457 American is by far the most ammo sensitive rifle I have ever owned though - perhaps I am just spoiled by my Tikka T1x 22LR though, it shoots any ammo very well and with mid-level ammo it really shines.

Some 457 group pocs using inexpensive ammo - the broad black lines are 1" and the small inner lines are 1/4" for reference

5 shots @ 50 yds Norma TAC
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

10 shots @ 50 yds Norma TAC

10 shots @ 50 yds CCI S/V - a lot which groups very well out of any of my 22's

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.