Originally Posted by K22
An 80's product? Your age is showing PennDog. grin
Notice how I've never mentioned the year of the Burris Mini's. shocked smile

I agree with BSA, the higher power scopes work quite well for many folks.
I do remember when a 6x scope was referred to as a Western scope because of its high magnification. grin

I do own many variable X scopes and the vast majority are in the 2-7 range, a few 2.8-36, a few 3-9, and a few 4.5-14.
Several years ago I was Predator hunting, one of my favorite things to do, and was using a new to me 204. At that time I had a 2-8 Nikon on it and was calling from a fence row over looking a rather large field for this area. After 20 min. or so a Bobcat came out of some pine trees and sat down facing me at the edge of the field. I set the crosshairs on it's chest, but because there was a slight breeze blowing left to right I held to the left of center of his chest and fired. Flipped the Cat over backwards and when I got to it you could see it never even twitched, usual for a Cat, and the shot hit exactly where I had held. So much for wind drift. LOL Anyway, the scope had been set on 3X, where I set all of my variables, and I didn't even think about turning up the scope power to 8X. Of course I didn't realize I hadn't until after I shot the Cat. I have done that so many times while Deer hunting you would think I would remember to up the scope power. crazy

I was sitting by the fence post on the right side in the photo. The Bobcat came out and sat down at the edge of those pine trees which is 225yds. plus some.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And the Cat.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K22,

Yes I started accumulating the Leupolds in the 80s - I was born in 1998😜. For hunting I rarely go above 6X (even though I have a few scopes with 14-18X high end settings). Most of my shots on squirrels are 30 yards and less and big game rarely exceeds 250 yards. I shoot targets out to 1000 yards where I appreciate the magnification - although most of my competition now-a-days is lever action silhouette so I don’t “need” any magnification😁

Impressive country you shot that bobcat in and even more impressive shooting. Beautiful animals those bobcats!!

PennDog