I'm also starting to think something is afoot with RE 17 - too many folks with higher reported velocities. I do believe every cartridge has an ideal burn rate associated with the case idiosyncracies. The magic behind some of the ammo mfgs specialized loadings (Heavy mags for example) is the marriage of an idealized powder, and associated burn rate, developed for a specific case or range of cases. In essence, we are trying to gain more area under the pressure/time curve. Possibly RE 17 has done that for the WSM's.

I also can't quite understand the fast barrel thing - slow barrels yes, fast barrels no. The only way that can happen is either pressure is higher or physics is re-invented for the Ideal Gas Law. For example, my Dad has a McGowan barreled 24" 30-06 that will run 2900+ with 180 grain Sierra's with zero pressure signs and a book load of IMR 4350. There ain't no friggin way I'm buying its running at 60,000 psi or less. Ain't happening.

I note that those claiming special barrel status never have pressure tested data to substantiate their claims. The real test is simple - what does the preponderance of the evidence say? Using the 30-06, 2800 in an 06 is max, plus or minus a few feet per sec. There is only about 4 gazillion pressure tested loads that back that up. Same goes for every cartridge thats been in existence for any length of time.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.