Of the rifles I have in my pocession right now I think I'd keep my 257 AI on a Czech Mauser action which is a great varmint and deer rifle, and my Mauser M-1996 Straight Pull rifle in 30-06 Springfield.

If, on the other hand, we were talking theoretical or "dream" rifles I'd likely keep the 7x57 I have in the works right now. Its being put together on a Mexican SR'98 action w/ a 23" 1-in-9" #3 Shilen, a Dakota 3-position "model 70 style" safety, beautiful walnut stock reconfigured with ebony foreend cap and grip cap, and cut checkering by Tim Smith-Lyon, 2-7x33mm Leupy VXII in talley lightweights. I purchased this rifle from TJ3006 over a year ago and anticipate it being in my pocession in March of '10.

In that case, the "other" action my 'smith has on hold for me would come into play. An Interarms Mark X with a 24" light-taper Hart or Krieger, topped w/ NECG custom front and rear sights, chambered to 338-06 AI with a McMillan handle and blind mag to save weight. On top would be a Leupy VXIII 3.5-10 in Talley QDs. All finished in flat black Cerakote.

I don't think that for NA light game you can beat the 7x57 for a "do it all" rig. For heavier I think the 338-06 is hard to beat. Together they'd make the perfect combination.

I do have to say, however, that whatever issues such a question as this brings up has less to do with theoretical rifles I'd not be able to buy than it does with the thought of selling rifles I'm thoroughly attached to, like the Win '94 30 WCF my aunt & uncle bought me for my 17th birthday, and that staight-pull '06 that feels like my right arm when I shoot her.

Thank goodness this is just a theoretical exercise or I'd be an emotional wreck wink .