Brian, you raise an interesting point, and frankly it isn't one I've given a lot of thought to, simply because it is to me a matter of a group of people who take their job to "serve & protect" seriously and feel that at these times it is honourable to honour a fallen brother/sister officer. Over the years I have been a pastor, I have officated at too many funerals (thankfully not any for a police officer), and know that there is a certain comfort in "being together" during these times. My BIL retired from a police force three years ago after 30 years of service. He attended funerals for other officers in various parts of the country and in the United States. The expenses came out of the family coffers, not the force, not the Police Comission, not the Province...he felt duty bound to be present. I have no problem with any of these gatherings being at "my expense" as a tax payer, in fact, it's a drop in the proverbial bucket. Their lives surely are "worth" some measure of public support.

Paul