Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I am AMAZED at the folks that say they tape only when raining. People [bleep] baffle me.

What's baffling about hunting with an untaped bore? I agree it's a good idea in wet, freezing temps, but otherwise, none of my hunts or rifles have suffered any adverse affects of having an open bore.

never taped one cause of rain or cold.....as i said they in general arent a worry of mine.....have had dirt get in a muzzle and the gun was in the pickup cause of muddy boots there was mud on the floor....standard practice out hunting when driving between walking spots is to wedge your gun between the seat and center console muzzle down.....couple real bumpy spots and one of the rifles happened to slip down and get shoved into some mud.....glad i noticed it and happened to have a cleaning kit in the truck.....

the tape helps keep stupid lil chit like that from happening and helps protect the crown....is it necessary? no but those that dont see the point likely dont hunt in places where footing can be iffy at best, dangerous at worst....rain isnt a concern other crap is.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books