Originally Posted by djpaintless
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
In heavy freezing-rain type conditions, which I will admit are rare but I have spent the day hunting in them... wouldn't a muzzle-taper have to worry about water getting in the bore from the breech end, being prevented from escaping by the tape, and freezing into a "plug"?

Uh No. The breech end is pretty well sealed by the bolt and chambered round......................DJ

Sealed against WATER!? All day in the rain? With gravity assisting it (I carry muzzle-down)?!

With all due respect... no WAY, hoser! grin grin

We aren't talking about scuba diving here. If you think that bolt lugs a properly fitted bolt face and 2+ inches of a brass gasket called a cartridge case don't do a better job of sealing rain water than an open hole at the other end you probably are stupid enough to have voted for Obama.

Hint, Hint, Try actually looking how different bolts seal up against the chamber. Bolt action rifle actions are designed to divert gas in case of a case rupture or primer piercing, you can't possibly think they don't help a bit to seal out running water do you?............................................DJ

Don't even bother explaining it to that dippshit.