In heavy freezing-rain type conditions, which I will admit are rare but I have spent the day hunting in them... wouldn't a muzzle-taper have to worry about water getting in the bore from the breech end, being prevented from escaping by the tape, and freezing into a "plug"?

I guess for some people, in some conditions, falling and plugging a bore is a valid concern. Haven't felt the need myself but I won't argue that other's don't. But for RAIN, as the OP was asking, chit I hunt in the rain all day long, did it several times this last season.. the rifle gets soaked. I'm sure there was no end to the water that entered the breech of my gun and ran out the muzzle. No big deal.

In fact several deer I've shot, I clearly rememeber getting a facefull of droplets from the bolt/breech area when I fired the rifle! smile

Anyway. Won't argue that tape makes sense on some level but, on THAT level, so do service contracts on your phookin' new DVD player or AFLAC (insurance on your insurance) and generally speaking I don't play the game that way.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!