Miss Lynn;
You have received some very good suggestions already.

I favor mainly single bladed knives for daily carry. The only off shore brand or perhaps better said non US or Japanese manufactured knives that I like are those from CRKT which are made in Taiwan, but have remarkable quality for the price- in our experience anyway.

Here is a small sample of some that I've carried daily at work and or hunting that I can recommend.
[Linked Image]

Left to right they are, a Spyderco Delica, a Benchmade (no longer made though), a Spyderco Centofante III, a Spyderco Native, a SOG Twitch II and a very old Leatherman Wave.

Of those, I wouldn't buy the partially serrated blade as seen on the Benchmade again and I've quit carrying the Twitch II, because it plugged with pocket lint very easily.

My current favorites are the Buck Vantage series, here is a couple of Vantage Pro knives, which go for about $50-$60 on ebay.
[Linked Image]

In my seemingly endless search for "the perfect knife", the Vantage series has come closer than any other - for me.

Hopefully that was some use to you. All the best to you and your family in 2011.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"