Do you like blood-shot meat? I don't! (and I've had a lot of it shot with speed demons like the .270Win even using standard 130-140 grain bullets!)

A .300WM can propel "deer-weight-bullets" like 150's and 165's pretty dang fast! Actually too fast, IMO.

If you reload you can control the throttle! And moderate the velocity to .308Win or .30/06 speeds.

Plus I limit my shots to 400yds since I call it (stalking and) HUNTING. Not "shooting!"

For what its worth, when I first started hunting at age11, I read MANY, MANY times that "an average shot" is usually about 150-250yards. And 30+ years later I've found that to be true! I've killed almost 30 total mule deer, whitetails, elk and pronghons (many fellows here at the 'Fire many more BG's than that!). Only 1 or 2 of those 'big gamiNals' was as far as a true 400yds.

If I had to deer hunt with one rifle in .300WM, that's the only reason I'd kill deer with something that big and powerful, and only load big heavy 180 or 200 grain bullets (to slow the whole thing down to less-than-meat-destroying-velocities) and shoot the deer with the same load I'd use that bruiser mangle-um on elk or moose!

If you are inquisitive and like to learn "things," then you might consider investing in your reloading knowledge by studying many cartridges and their hunting loads like in the .30-30, .30-40Krag, .300Savage, .308Win, .30/06, and other similar 30 or 31-cals.

All of them kill deer QUITE WELL and DEAD at VERY reasonable ranges!
Twas me I'd load that bruiser down if developing a "deer load" in .300 WM.

Or I would work-up one "go-to" elk-type-load that uses a 200grain Nosler Partition or AccuBond (in .308 cal if the AccuBond is available in that weight), and use that same [one] load for ALL North American game you might shoot with the .300Winnie.

I've known several .338WinMag hunters to do that very same thing with their .338's at moderate velocities with 210 or 225grain bullets, even when killing mulies, black bear or pronghorn antelope! Looks a little silly using such a huge cartridge to dispatch a 90-100 pound sage goat, but the the tissue damage is surprisingly minimized and there's still something left to butcher and enjoy on the table!