Although the Montana is shooting a little over .75 with 42.5 grains of RL15, (and I have a few stiffer R15 loads I need to try), I tried Big Game in my M84 7-08 based on JB and others' recommendations, and she shows lots of promise.

I'm running WLR primers at 2.770, which is about .010 off the lands, and Federal once fired brass (I know - but the Fusions have shot so good in this rifle).

Ran a ladder test between 48 and 51.5 grains with 120 NBT's. In a high wind, the ladder essentially showed what I interpret as a pretty wide and forgiving accuracy node.

Essentially, the ladder just had one rung strung a bit by a 15mph wind which was behind me quartering to my left, and gusting to 25+. It was blowing hard pretty steady, with gusts that would make me wait to shoot because they literally were rocking the pickup where I had my redneck shooting bench set up on the tailgate. I let it gust and shot through it except when it was rocking the truck so much I couldn't squeeze off steady.

I shot my ladder at 300 yards.

[Linked Image]

Instead of the usual steps up the ladder, I got 7 out of 8 shots strung horizontally by gusty wind in a 1.5 inch vertical group at 300. The 8th shot is a little over an inch above the rest.

[Linked Image]

Even with the wind blowing so hard, 7 of 8 grouped just over 4 inches at 300 - with one left of the group which may be explained by a gust or a hot barrel or operator error (although that shot felt good as far as I could tell.)

From 48 to 50 grains shot a group just over 2 inches.

[Linked Image]

Basically, I'm thinking that Big Game looks like it has a very forgiving accuracy node, and excellent accuracy potential.

I know shooting in this kind of wind is less precise, but it's either shoot in it or don't shoot around here right now.

A couple of questions:

1. What kind of velocity are y'all seeing with Big Game?

(My best group was kind of mild, but I'm going to load a few a little stiffer. I'm not in the lands, but not far off.

Started to see a little flatter primer at 51.5, but it was a half inch from the 51 load and I'm shooting once fired Federal brass right now, so I can probably push it up with less soft brass.

Don't have a chronograph, but can figure it with some 100 yard groups - but really wondering what folks are seeing around 50 to 51 if I want to settle in around there on a load.)

2. It was probably 85 when I shot, and I didn't piddle around too long letting the barrel cool, although I tried to give it a couple of minutes and walked down to record what I was seeing through my spotter in the middle of the group. Is Big Game temperature sensitive enough that I need to worry about pressure when we get into the upper 90's to low 100's that we'll see in August?

3. Any insights from these results much appreciated!

Headed out to shoot a few more this evening if I can (still blowing like a hurricane, but that's Spring in Texas HC), and will update if I learn some stuff.

Thanks,

DJ

Last edited by DJTex; 03/26/11.