You have to honor magazine constraints, but I don't think you'll have any problems.

For a hunting rifle, I don't want my load jammed, anyway. Feed, extraction and function is always first - and even if mag constraints allow it, I don't want to risk leaving a bullet and a mess of powder behind when I extract a bullet in a hunting situation. Plus, my Montana definitely showed more pressure in the lands.

On bench technique, I have found a couple of things on the Montanas.

1. Control muzzle jump...They are light enough that you have to watch it. I reach around my front bag and hold the forearm with my left hand - can't leave it on the rear bag like with heavier rifles, IME. Plus, that's how I'll hold it in the field, so POI and how it shoots translates better from bench to field positions.

2. A front bag can be too hard. I fold a gunsock and lay it on the front bag under the forearm. For some reason, a little cushion helps, even though it may seem less precise. I think it is again a muzzle jump thing.

3. A rifle this light is very unforgiving of any mistake in bench technique. Trigger squeeze, breathing, no flinch - all needs to be perfect.

4. A light trigger really helps with good shooting technique....The Montana trigger will normally adjust down plenty light, and remain safe. Even if you like a 3lb trigger on your hunting rifle, take it down to 2 or a little under for load workup. You can always ease it back up if you need to after you develop your loads, although I leave it around 2.

5. Barrel heat may bite you if you shoot very many groups in a row....I shoot 3 shot groups and walk down and mark my target and let the barrel cool in between. On hot days, I think the third and fourth and fifth groups benefit from more barrel cooling time. Take along another rifle.

I'll shoot the 3 shot groups quickly, although if the barrel is warm (like the fourth or fifth groups I shoot), I may give it a minute between shots.

This group was the fourth I shot. I shot the first 3 - saw the last one open up from barrel heat - so I pulled out my 243 and shot 4, walked down, then shot my last 7-08 group alternating between the 243 and the 7-08. Maybe a minute or two between shots.

[Linked Image]

I don't worry about it much on groups one or two, but that light barrel may heat up enough to lie to you on later groups if you keep blazing away.

Hope that helps.

DJ