Originally Posted by KevinGibson

"Peak Oil" has nothing to do with US production. "Peak Oil" is about world production, and it has nothing to do wtih running out of oil, never has. We won't "run out" of oil for a few centuries as best I can tell. Peak Oil is when oil production and demand hit their peak. The point where demand is now greater than our ability to get it out of the ground. This world will hit Peak Oil while there is tons of oil. The biggest factor in Peak Oil is the emerging middle class in developing nations. As they hit middle class, they want the same things that you and I have. And that is all driven by oil. Everyone agrees, there's not enough oil to go around.

THIS is why we should NOT be drilling ALL of our reserves. We should be drilling just enough, and use everyone elses oil first, saving ours for last. Meanwhile, we should be reducing our demand to ensure we have enough for the US, so our children have a future.

Kevin, I took your earlier comment:

Originally Posted by KevinGibson

The US has a whole lot more oil than that, but not enough to change the world supply/demand situation. US oil production peaked in 1971 and has decreased every year since; that�s the fact. If we drilled EVERYTHING, we could spike up, but NEVER anywhere near where we were in 1969.

To imply that we had experienced peak oil in the U.S.

Stating that we could never match the production of 1969 seemed to infer that that was the case. If you meant that we could not match 1969 production due to factors I pointed out such as the cost of production now, then I understand and agree that is probably the case.

I also agree, to a point, with your theory that we should not produce everything we have, though I think there is a balance and the negative effect it is having on our economy by not producing right now, may not be in our best interest.

Had we started production on ANWR in 2001 when we first had it shot down by the Democrats in the Senate, we would not be experiencing $4.00 gas in the middle of the longest recession in 80 years.

[Linked Image]