Haven't seen this reason posted yet (new to the forum), but for me, the .250-3000 is my favorite because it was the very first cartridge (and gun: 99EG) that at a young age very nearly convinced me I could hit and kill anything at any range. Deer first, then Pronghorns, then Elk. Later, I found it was also "adequate" for rockchucks, coyotes and crows. I ran with a crowd of other teens that had more money, and so they had fat-barreled .243's, 22-250's and such. The .250 held its own against those guns, and turned my buddies' derisive smirks at my "antique" into sometimes not so silent admiration.

As for tiny guns that equal the '3000's velocity, I had Dennis Olson put a Lilja barrel on a Mini-Mauser (originally 7.62x39) in .25 PPC: (6PPC necked up)

I call it the .25 "Pronghorn Pursuit Cartridge".

Yes, it launches a 85g Ballistic Tip at 3000fps: the intended goal. Slightly lighter overall package than my scoped 99F.

Last edited by Tahnka; 06/29/11.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor