My wife has repeatedly declined to own a gun of her own and the notion of carrying one (and possibly using it) just wasn't even on her radar. But...

After hearing about another kid getting grabbed in broad daylight about 70 miles from here, she decided she was not going to stand by, helpless, if it happened to her and our girls. So, on our anniversary, she suggested we go to Cabela's. She stepped up to the gun counter, fondled a few Kimbers and said, "I want one of these." Quietly thrilled that she wanted a gun, I politely pointed out that she might be better served with a smaller cartridge, like a 9mm. She said, "No. I like this one." And the discussion was over...

I got online and ordered it for her, along with a couple extra magazines. It arrived yesterday:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We went to the range last night, and all I had were 230 gr bullets loaded up. (I plan to load some 185's for her). She barely had the strength to put 7 rounds into a magazine. Pulling the slide back was just as difficult. She looked up at me while I watched with an eyebrow lifted, and said, "Don't worry. I'll get it." I didn't doubt her for a minute.

She struggled to get comfortable with her grip, but then proceeded to shoot 7 rounds at 21 feet into a group that you could cover with a playing card. It wasn't spectacular shooting, but for her first handgun ever, I was pleased as punch. Plus, if she can do it under pressure, she'll never come home from the mall one kid short.

So anyway, I am proud of her. She shot about 5 more mags worth and then we went home. It was a good day. smile

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.