Originally Posted by CCCC
Lots of fine deer cartridges in the .25 to .28 range - the best shoot flat (ballistic efficiency) and are tidy (powder efficiency). Seem to keep finding that the .25:06 is at its overall best with bullet near 120 grs. Lighter = faster, but normally not better performance on game.

The fellows who like the old .243 usually will horn in on these threads to try to convince about their favorite, but it is getting past its peak at 100 grains, even with the better bullets. Something in physics tells the story about 120 grains vs, 100 at generally same velocity. Story continues upward.

For deer and similar, 25:06 has been my first choice for 30 years.

Your "grasp" of Physics rates an HBO Comedy Special. Weight means less than dick,especially when IMAGINING that it does in a "whopping" diameter difference of .014" and feigning 20grs of mass as an "advantage".

In fairness however,what did/do matter is projectile integrity,it's aero form and it's launch speed. Those key things,control what happens downrange upon victims. Interestingly enough the "old and lowly" 243Win even beyond it's "peak",brings more downrange "Ooomph" to the table than the 25-06. That despite it being a .445"-ish shorter hull,being of less projectile diameter and of less weight. Physics not so "surprisingly" crushes alotta Myths,Wives Tales and Stoner notions. Due those simplistic constants...the 243Win can/will recoil less,fly flatter,slip the wind better,yield higher impact velocity,reduce action/rifle length/weight and for those enthralled with yet another moot designator arrive with more "energy". As an aside,due the shorter/squatter powder column,she'll routinely realize more svelte ES/SD values as well,which do not hurt connect percentages.

Feel free to cite the .257" projectile(s) that most horn you up for killing and I'll be happy to discuss 'em at length and in the firsthand. Cheer up,noone wants to see a .257" A-Max or Scenar,more than I.

As things stand Today,the Scenar is easily the most robust VLD in .243" for threading Cheerios.

Hint.