Originally Posted by elkhunter_241
During archery season dont leave your sidearm at camp, no matter how heavy it is.

I only did this twice in a 20 year span and as luck would have it, I ran into a bear both times, the second one got the point across REAL well, it was a grizzly at 15 feet.

+1. My exact reasoning was "it's too heavy and I'm just too tired to carry anything extra today". My first mountain lion experience. We were told that we'd never see a lion and the black bear would be scared of us, so we werent too worried about it. In fact a gentlemen who we talked to later said that he had hunted the area for 20 years and he'd never ran across one in there. We walked up a steep ridge and when we got to the top, there was a mountain lion 20 yards away staring at us. After a brief "holy chit!" moment, I slowly reached for my pistol, which then I remembered was nicely tucked away in the tent. The nice lion turned and trotted off thankfully. I'll never leave my sidearm again. It all happened quickly, but we stood there for ten minutes afterwards replaying the situation not believing what just happened.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?