Don't island camp on the Colville River in Alaska. There was light rain where we were caribou and moose hunting, but it must have deluged upstream on the North slope of the Brooks Range. Three of us were trapped on a 100 yard long island for a few days when the river rose about 5' and went into full flood. To top it off we had a sow and cub grizzly on the island with us one night sniffing the tent. We were bowhunting, but did have an 870 with slugs along. I didn't shoot but sure as heck used a lot of adrenalin up that night with them circling the tent. One of my hunting buddies never slept a wink in the dark the rest of the trip. At least we had a guard who kept the meager willow fire tended.

The drop camp operator finally delivered by super cup drop a small weather checked raft that we used to go to shore to hunt caribou. We did miss the main migration that swam by us crossing the Colville on the days we were trapped on the little island. One had horns with giant red star shaped tops that still come to mind as I type this!

Last edited by Kurt52; 03/11/12.