Don't buy the mittens that have the little magnets that hold the finger flaps back just because they are quieter than the velcro ones. It turns out that while handheld GPS units use satellites to determine your location, they evidently are equipped with magnetic compasses to determine your direction. I was not aware of this. Knowing your exact location on earth without knowing which way is which is a very special way to get lost. I figured it out about the time the sun came up. Later that day, after the sun went down, I learned that my GPS unit's compass, much like a regular compass, also doesn't work properly if you hold it out in front of you pointing up. Like when the batteries get low so the backlight shuts off to conserve power so you hold it up high in front of your headlamp which is partially obscurred by the bill of your ball cap which you put on to keep the snow out your eyes. Long day. Moral of the story is that it's ok to trust your GPS, just know its limitations. And make sure you choose a hunting partner that is good with directions.