Originally Posted by redfoxx
I could write a book on how to screw up a hunt... here's a few "boners" I've pulled over the years.

1) Never set up your bivy in the middle of a well established pack trail, even if its the only flat spot you can find on the side of the mountain. Woke up in the middle of the night a few years back, squirming in my bivy, couldn't get the zipper open, poked my head out to see a horse standing over me spooked and rearing up because some giant green worm (me) was quirming and thrashing in the middle of the pack trail... thought the outfitter that was on the horse was going to shoot me... I would have.

2) Make sure you have the right fuel for your stove, canister fuel does not work on a liquid fuel stove, and visa versa... remember that when you swap out the stove in your pack, you have to do the same with the fuel. Mountain house meals are pretty crunchy when eaten un-hydrated.... and talk about constipation!

3) NEVER prime/pre-heat a liquid fuel stove under your tent's vestibule... yes the fabric is flammable, and yes it burns fast. The warning on the label is their for a reason.

4) Make sure you have an arrow nocked on your bow string before you draw on that bull...

5) Mice LOVE the taste of Wilderness Athlete berry flavored drink mix, especially when they have to knaw through your bite valve to get to it.

6) Pull the ivories out of your elks skull before you take the last 5 trip back to the truck...

7) Side arms are nothing but dead weight if you forgot to put the bullets in it before you left the trailhead. Although the butt of the grip does make for a fine hammer to drive in tent stakes.

8) When you are squatted down trying to stalk in on the herd you've been dogging all day long, and you get the urge to fart, just be careful that's all you do because that position puts a little extra pressure on the bowels and you may get more than you bargained for.

9) Make sure to stop at the nearest stream crossing to clean up your arse after you had to wipe with dry spruce needles a few hours earlier high up on the mountain... otherwise extreme chaffing and sphincter irritation will plague you for days. Note to self- always remember the toilet paper.

10) And last but not least, NEVER and I mean NEVER lock your car keys inside your vehicle when you're trailhead is over 12 miles from the nearest town, and you don't have cell phone service...

Good times...

Funny stuff there. I'd love to share a campfire with you, and listen to more...

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...