Have you given any thought as to what exact model and barrel length that would best fit your needs.... Besides plinking, what exactly do you consider "field work"....as in some small game hunting, big game hunting, just outdoor protection.... Is it going to be holster carried. How long a barrel can you tolerate carrying around.... Are you looking for blue or stainless? Is this your only handgun?

Personally I have owned both calibers:
New Model Blackhawk .45 Colt 4 5/8"
Old Model Blackhawk .44 Magnum 6.5"
Old Model Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum 5.0" (cut down from 7.5")
...and sold all of them and now only have .41 Magnums...

As to the new checked plastic grips...I don't care for them either and the one new gun that I bought that had them were replaced with a set of bonded ivory...much more pleasant to shoot.

Another caliber you may want to consider if you reload is the .44 Special. A friend has a blue Bisley Flat Top with I believe a 5.5" barrel and a stainless Flat Top with a 4 5/8" barrel. If you don't need the all the power of a .44 Magnum or .45 Colt +P this cartridge makes almost a perfect round for a Blackhawk with the original size .357 frame....

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ross-seyfried-lipseys-ruger-flattop-44-special-bisley-revolvers/

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....