Originally Posted by Esox357
Thanks guys for the responses. I found a new Ruger 45LC/45acp convertible for $542.00 its stainless/steel with the higher front sight for different bullet weights it is 5.5 inch barrel and comes with false ivory grips. This may be the one I get.

If that's a 45 Flattop you're refering to, I really like mine, a 5.5" blued model:

[Linked Image]

The 4 5/8" stainless model is pretty sweet as well:

[Linked Image]

Both are very well fitted and finished, and have proved accurate with the 45 Colt cylinders. I haven't tried the ACP cylinders yet.

Note that these smaller framed 45's aren't suitable for the "Ruger only" 45 Colt loads listed in many manuals. Brian Pearce's article on the mid-frame 45's in Handloader from over the summer lists a wide selection of loads in the pressure ranges appropriate to the Flattop 45's. Also, the cylinder of the Flattop is shorter so some long nosed LBT type bullets may not be usable, or will have to be seated deeper thus cutting powder space. I don't find these restrictions to be significant, however, as the Flattop will easily handle loads in the 1000fps range with 280-300gr bullets which is plenty powerful.

Here's a comparison of cylinder length and thickness between the Flattop 45 and a standard Blackhawk, in this case a stainless 45 Bisley:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oregon45; 04/11/12.