Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have a three screw SBH that was a .44 Rem Mag, is now a .45 Colt. It was line bored by Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision, had a Shilen 6" barrel fitted with a long steel ejector and custom front sight. I rigged a trigger stop and it's a shooter.

Target at 25 yds. over a bag with 255 gr. SWC and 18.5 gr. H4227.

IMHO, this is the highest and best use for a SBH .44 Mag... cool

Third photo, Penn Bullets 270 gr. Thunderheads. Check that meplat. Bad medicine for hogs. .44 Mag can't do that... frown

I think a stong, accurate .45 Colt will outperform a .44 Rem Mag. I know you can go with heavy .44 bullets, etc. Just saying... grin

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've often wondered why the SBH was never offered from the factory in .45 Colt. It seems like it would be a perfect fit. Never thought about having one converted. It's a great idea. I presume it'll handle 30,000psi loads the same as the Blackhawk will.

Pressure handling capacity should be similar, .44 and .45. Theoretically, the .44 would have a slightly thicker cylinder wall than the .45. That's why the real high pressure .45's are built with a 5 shot cylinder so the bolt or hand notch is between and not right over a chamber. If a chamber gives way, that's where it usually splits.

Using H4227, it's hard to have dangerous cylinder pressure. Hank Williams Jr. is an avid Colt collector and shooter. I read where he likes 4227, even shooting 4227 loads in some of his vintage Colts. Its pressure curve, reportedly, allows max charges without dangerous pressure spikes. Pistol powders, like 2400, H110, etc. are the ones that could potentially create a pressure problem, especially if the shooter was pushing the envelope with heavy bullets.

IMHO,

DF