Both machines are shaft drive. Shaft drive just means that's how they drive the rear wheels from the transmission, pretty much all modern ATV's are shaft drive. The difference between the two is that the yahama is a belt style CVT transmission, it's got a rubber belt that rides between two pulley's that can change diameter and that's how it adjusts the gearing. The honda is a electronically shifted dual clutch five speed automatic.

I have a 2010 honda rancher AT that the OP is talking about. I love it and haven't had a minute's problem out of it. The IRS rides like a cloud and the power steering is great. EFI is a requirement for me now, I'm done with anything that has a carburator. I highly recommend the machine.

Lots of folks have the belt style automatic transmissions since that's what every maker other than honda uses. You don't hear of many problems out of them unless they get wet. I don't like them though, I just don't like the concept of my transmission being operated by a rubber belt. It seems like cheesy engineering to me.