Originally Posted by Klikitarik
I ran Yamaha in the 80s. Switched to Hondas in the 90s; bought a new 300 TRX in 98 (which I still driver to work every day.) Honda is the generic term for an ATV in many parts of roadless Alaska which should tell you something. However, the newer tranverse engine Hondas have had problems from the beginning. Last September, my wife got a 450 Grizzley (when she asked me to choose whatever I wanted in an ATV.) It is 4WD with EPS - the best feature to come along on these machines when they are used on rough terrain. At the same time, we bought my mother-in-law a new machine. She wanted a Honda Rancher. We had hers set up essentially the same way. It has power steering as well. Our Grzz has 3400 miles on it right now and has been a great machine. In the cold, the crankcase breather iced up - it was -30 when any ATV has these problems. That caused a pressure build up in the crankcase. A seal blew out, pouring oil into the clutches and eventually smoking the belt. Having kids driving the machine did not help that situation I'm sure. The fix allowed me to see how well Yamaha has engineered these machines. Everything was easily done correctly without splitting the engine. All I had to do was pull covers off. It's a very well thought out engine. I was initially worried about the belt on these things. I believe that concern was unwarranted considering the design. The Honda didn't have such issues of course. Then again, Honda's EFI engines don't seem to be set up for operation - or starting anyway- in deep cold.

There are a lot of Hondas around here. It isn't uncommon to see them for sale for $500-1200 with blown engines. Newer Hondas have more trouble with their motors than did old Hondas. They also require different oils than did the old ones and the present Yamahas. (Honda presently specifies only motorcycle rated oil where automotive oils were okay in older models as well as current Yamaha [and Suzuki] ATVs.) Polaris machines run for a year or two and then get parked when used locally. They have a very good ride however.

I still like the older solid axle geared transmissions for road use. For off-road, all-terrain purposes, give me a Grizzly. The 450 is a great little carbed machine; I wouldn't disdain the fuel injected 550 either in a slightly bigger machine.

Thanks Klikitarik,

Just looked at mine and it only has 1400 miles on it after 16yrs. And 0 miles on the road. I'm a Louisiana boy, at -30, I'd blow a gasket too.

You were very helpfull.

Doug