If you shoot a bear with any load from the .40, and it's not a CNS hit. You will see it run of a very long way. If that's the goal your good to go. However if your going to go look for it, you could be looking a while, over a long way.

Odds are better then not you will get only one hole, .40 bleeds good, but depends much on placement. Higher in the chest will bleed with the initial puncture, but stop at about 50-75 yards if above center of the body. Quartering towards or away will be a bigger struggle for a blood trail then broadside.

I guess, if it were my situation and this as the only option, I would probably play with the rubber bullets available that can be used as a deterrent for bears, rather then trying to puncture one with that cartridge.

All this chat about shooting a bear is well and good. However the situation away from the laptop, out in the bush, searching for spots of blood, ........ well recreational sport hunting feels a bit different looking for a bear you cannot find in thick bush with fading light.

I've tracked a bear recently that was hit poorly. After a one hour wait we went looking. The light was fading but being in the thick woods it was dark. Using a flashlight to see the blood spots here and there, I could hear the bear panting just in front of us. He did not seem to be moving, but his panting grunts were clearly audible. I took the higher ground to see if I could find him looking down into the canyon. We were about 50 yards away would be my guess.

No luck seeing it this way. I slowly moved through the bush to what I would guess is 30 yards. The breathing was clear and struggling. No blood on the ground at this point about 1/2 mile from the shot. I was not sure where the bear was exactly and he was not moving. At this point is was not dark.

We sat right there facing the sounds of the bear. To close the gap further would require crawling on hands and knees. He was clearly hit hard, but no longer leaving blood, and not dying. We were about 2 plus hours into the tracking since the shot. I moved ahead another 10-20 feet seeing if it would open up and allow a better view. No luck, the thorns would pull at my clothing and make too much noise.

The hunter was freaked out beyond words. He wanted out of there an hour ago, and to come back in the morning. I was not convinced this bear would stay put if left over night. He was very alive, but simply pissed off and deciding to stay and fight if we chose that option. This was a big male bear easily 400 lbs. I crawled back to the hunter and we sat another 20-30 minutes. The bears breathing would stop and start again at random. I must have thought 10 times that "he's finally dead" only to hear it start again.

It was now about 11:30 over three hours from the shot. I had one remaining fully charged streamlight left. I held it in one hand and the .44 mag in the other. The hunter had only his bow with him. I went in about 20 feet and the breathing became a low growl. The brush moved a bit, I froze.......... everything stopped, total silence. ........... What to do? the growling was intimidating to say the least, and thorns don't impede the progress of bears as they do my clothing. I froze for about 5 minutes, my hunter started calling to me, but I did not want to reply and give away my location to the bear. He was relentless calling to me so I backed out again to him. I told him I could not reply so he should just be patient and wait for me.

He was now at this point done with this. His panic, shaking, and emotions were breaking him down. He said " I'll never shoot another bear in my life, I'm done with this S%#@!..... I relented and agreed to get him out and away from this. He was about to completely freak out and break down in the dark hearing this bear only a few yards away with a puny light and nothing but his bow.

I got us back out of there and we retuned in the morning, less then 6 hours after we left. I crawled right to the spot the bear was laying, a small spot of blood was there, but no bear, and no further blood, it was obvious he laid there for a while. The bear was now gone. The hunter was done too. He will never hunt a bear again not even with a gun. This was not the recreational event he signed on for.

I guess the point of all this is that when you decide to pull the trigger, or release the arrow there is a responsibility that goes with that. Choose the tool that stacks the deck in your favor. Once you pull the trigger the reality of what you just did will smack you in the face when setting off to find this bear!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)