Originally Posted by justin10mm
I've finished off a couple hogs with the .40 using 180gr. Winchester hollow points. I will say to stay away from any expanding bullets at .40 velocity. They just don't have the penetration potential.

Some are suggesting hard cast bullets but that would make me nervous shooting lead out of a factory Glock barrel. If it were me I'd find some good 180gr-200gr flat nose FMJs to load up.

I've noticed from your previous posts that your a 10mm fan. I agree that the .40cal is not a great choice for bear, & I would Much Prefer my 10mm Glock with heavy 200gr XTP's going 1300fps or Buffalo Bore 220gr LBT type bullets at 1150fps.

That being said, the OP sounds like he is pretty firm on sticking with his Glock .40 for backpack Bowhunts. With that caliber, he would be MUCH better off with a big, wide, heavy Cast Bullet at around 1000fps.

People are often confused by Glocks warning Not to shoot lead bullets. Please let me clarify that Glock is giving that warning because most people load soft lead or cheap swaged lead bullets, which can lead to lead build-up in Glock Barrels. Which could lead to unsafe pressures and a bulged or burst barrel.

If you or the OP sticks to strictly HARD Cast bullets, there is no danger in shooting them through your Glock. I've fired several thousand rounds of hard cast bullets though my various Glock Models over the years without barrel leading or dangerous pressures. This includes a Glock 17 that I used for IPSC competition that fired many thousands of rounds of 147gr hard cast 9mm bullets.

BTW, I've killed tons of feral hogs here on the ranch up to 400lbs with about every common pistol caliber in my safe. I took a friend bow hunting who was packing a .40cal Glock. He had to use it on a big boar that he made a poor shot on with his bow. He was using 165gr JHP ammo, & the Penatration was not good on a big 300lb boar. While we were field dressing the hog, he complained how it took several shots to put the boar down with his .40cal Glock
Later, that day, I shot a big Boar with my Glock 20-10mm using 200gr XTP's.
While we were field dressing my boar, I showed him the difference in Penatration & tissue damage between his .40cal & my 10mm.
He went to the gun store the next day & traded his Glock .40 for a Glock 10mm.
Now he's like Ted Nugent... He never leaves home without his Glock 10mm

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~