I appreciate every one's comments here, really interesting. JJ's story is great!

I also thought it was clear from the OP this was for defensive use not sport hunting
thanks John,

Sure, I like the idea of moving up to a 10mm in a G. But please let me further explain here.

I backpack hunt the "High Hunt" in a Wilderness area here in WA. I just got back Monday early a.m. from a successful kill on a mule deer at over 7,000 ft. Above timberline.

I'm a bloody mess with deer blood on my boots, pack, and clothes and I have the deers head in camp.

I have become a food target in my small Go-Lite floor-less tent. Not exactly easy to swing a rifle around in one. Reason for handgun.

I am beat tired after boning and hauling a buck off the mountain. (which btw, is the best eating grass fed animal I've ever ate) Mainly why I do it...

At night, the bear(s) come in, again, I'm in a small tent, and you don't always hear them come in. I am in a defensive mode. All I want to do is ventilate a bears noggin.
Yeah, I want to kill them clean, if I have to, but at that point, I don't give a crap.

My partner and I had two bear come in at the same time into camp right at dark thirty. Deal with that one. I had to shoot one with my rifle that wouldn't leave.

I also, personally, don't have the luxury of packing more weight like bulky heavy 10mm handguns. Remember, I have to pack a lot of meat out.

Having bears in the area just puts a nice edge on the hunt itself. I could easily kill my fill of bears during the day, but I'm mule deer hunting and at night I want to sleep with a little assurance that I can defend myself if need be, while sleeping in a small tent.