Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Doubletap has a 200gr WFNGC load for the 40SW. DT claims 1050 fps from a Glock 23. It might be one of the better 40 loads for deep penetration and tissue damage.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=210

DT also sells the bullets alone, if you want to load some yourself.

This bullet could do the job. I'm going to order some and try 'em out, not necessarily for bear, but I like the idea of having a heavy-for-caliber round for my G22 and G23 should I need to use one of them for a backup gun in a hunting situation.

I have to reiterate what I've said many, many times before, though: handguns are a poor choice of firearm for bear defense. A rifle or slug shotgun are my preference.

FWIW, though, unlike others have posted I wouldn't be totally averse to using an XTP or GDHP 180 gr load for black bear under the circumstances you've described, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I think you should also heed what JJHack has written, above... whether you're going to be hunting bear, or defending yourself and/or your camp from bear, you really should go with a larger/heavier caliber in the .44 Mag or .45 Colt class or larger.

Using rubber bullets combined with airhorns and/or pepper spray as a deterrent to bears approaching camp is also an alternative to consider, but once the bear is in close proximity to you/your camp, especially if it's a hungry bear trying to get at your meat cache, this may not be a viable option. Gary Shelton describes several bad encounters of this type, and in his experience/opinion you need a heavy rifle or slug gun in such situations. I happen to concur with Shelton on this.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars