I am not defending or agreeing with any of them, but take it from an elderly person who has been attacked in his own home by a knife wielding much younger relative, you just do not know what you will do until you are faced with the same situation.

Executing them, after they were disabled? Maybe. Maybe he was scared out of his mind and didn't want to take a chance of them trying to attack him while they were wounded. In a situation like that, most people cannot think as coherent and logical as they could two or three days later while sitting in front of a computer.

One thing I did learn is to not try to explain your actions or why you did what you did to the police. They are not interested. All they want to do is to arrest someone while putting out the least investigative effort possible.

Guilt or innocence does not enter into it. That is one thing I do not like about the Castle Law. You have to be able to prove you were about to become the victim, and the LEOs sometimes are not interested in your proof, or your status as a victim.