Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
The M29 & 629 received a "Durability package" upgrade around 1990, to help them withstand a steady diet of heavy bullet loads, which were becoming more & more popular in those days. IIRC it was additional heat treatment of components.

Yes, the .45 Colt naturally does have thinner cylinder walls and barrel shank, which leaves less safety margin. I wouldn't try .44 mag loads in one.

The other point is, a DA revolver would be chosen over a single action for rate of fire, at extreme close range. Whether it is a two legged or 4 legged assailant, a 250-270gr load at 1000fps is going to have less recoil than a 300gr at 1300fps, and be easier to fire accurately, in a dire situation.

I like my 5" M629, and have carried it in bear and mt lion country. For big bears, my .480 Ruger would get the nod.

One of these days I need to get me a M25-7. Always have liked 5" S&W's smile

Yes S&W did what is referred as an "endurance package" S&W claimed better heat treating. I can tell you with certainty that heat treating will only make metal "harder or softer" depending on which you are after but will not make the metal STRONGER. The S&W M-29 will shoot the same loads as a SBH as far as not blowing up is concerned but wear is a different story. Also the N frame has a side plate that also weakens the frame, where as a Redhawk has a solid frame same as a single action. A double action will wear quicker than a single action even if the strength is the same

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first