My usual load was suggested by John Barsness of 65 g. of Big game behind a 286 g. bullet. In my rifle these average about 2400 fps.

When the photos of the rifle were taken I had just fired it with a load of PRVI (Graf's) brass, Hornady 286 g. bullets, WLRM primers and 65 g. of Big game. I was shooting at water filled gallon plastic milk jugs at a paced 130 yards. Went 11 for 12, 2 from off-hand, 4 from the sitting position and 6 (including the miss) from an improvised rest.

I intend to use a load of the 270 Speer bullet behind 67 g. of BG for deer in thick cover this year. This load just reaches 2500 fps on my chronograph.

Since I slightly modified the stock; I can hold this rifle off-hand better than any of my other rifles. Felt recoil seems less with the new recoil pad which necessitated shortening the stock which also reduced the drop at heel. This may also affect my perception of recoil.

I have become very attached to this rifle in-spite of the fact that I am a recoil wimp and will be 69 in a few days.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson