Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I skimmed every post. I think I only saw 2 people mention 99 Savages. Doesn't seem odd to me at all seeing as though most suffer from matte, plastic, and boltitis. If I could start over, the year would be 1961. I would be 16 years old and my dream would come true. It would be one of those "fancy" 99's I used to see at the barber shop. Yep, that's it. The barber I went to as a boy was a Savage dealer. The gun I would have bought would already be 34 years old. It would have been produced in 1927.

After many years of lusting, I FINALLY own that rfle.

[Linked Image]

It is now 87 years old, and trust me. If I had had the opportunity in 1961 to buy such a rilfe it would NOT look like it does today. It would have the same Stith mount on it but a much earlier Lyman scope. A Savage 99 in .300 Savage caliber will suit "most" north American hunting needs.

I really like my Savage 99 in 300 Savage. The best lever action design ever! But if I had to own only one rifle for everything, everywhere, it'd be a 375 H&H. Probably a Sako AV or a Mauser action rifle. For hunting Deer, Pronghorn, and Elk...a bolt action 270 Winchester is my choice.